Tuesday, June 16, 2009

My Guppie....


We were invited Saturday to an impromptu swim/BBQ party to celebrate a dear little baby girl's dedication.

The dedication was simple yet meaningful...full of love and drenched in the Spirit.

The pool party invitation caused a moment of panic which necessitated alerting the Postpartum Fashion Emergency Support Group. All ended well, thanks to cleverly hidden elastic and who knows what other genius fabric to svelt-icize me. And a certain fashion consultant angel...you know who you are.

Bubbalu has proven to be a danger around water. And yes, I already knew to be extremely cautious around water with him, but this was a whole new ball game. We were thinking he would clutch us nervously while barely kicking his legs and MIGHT blow some bubbles or sit on the pool steps for a bit by himself. When he jumped off the diving board by himself into the deep end for the 18th or so time we kinda thought that maybe we should start thinking about some swimming lessons for the boy.

Good thing we had one of those toddler lifevesty things on him with 18 clips, cinched straps and head support on it.

Let's just say we got our money's worth on that purchase.

Unfortunately, I've been told that toddler swimming lessons are only to introduce the child to the water and to lessen fear of water instead of actually teaching them to swim.

"Um, Hi, my name is Amanda and I'm just wondering if you offer a class that will INCREASE his fear of water? Maybe a scary video and a terrifying pool demonstration?

No?

Oh, crap."

A

3 comments :

  1. I totally know how you feel! Isaac is the same way and wants me to let go of him and would just jump in without any one around. I wonder if we did let him go under just once and immediately bring him back up would that help or...I just don't think I could do it. I guess just strap on every floating decide that's around and pray for the best...until they learn how to swim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heehee...yes every boy needs a good healthy dose of fear in their lives! Skyler just dove head-first into his new little pool and got some good swallows of water in. After the initial shocked yells, he started LAUGHING! And within minutes tried it again. Hmmm...where could we get some fear? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We put BJ in swim lessons at 2 1/2 for the same reasons. Paid a fortune and he did wonderfully, but retained none of it. He's 5 now and can't swim a lick. I'm looking into lessons for him now. My advice is to keep the life jacket on him at all times. The padding helps cushion falls in the home, too. You might want to invest in a bicycle helmet, too! Okay, so I'm only kidding, but you know what I mean :)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, let's chat a bit...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...