Monday, November 30, 2009

Will The Super Mom With Boundless Energy Please Stand Up...


My friend Rachel asked me:
I'd like to know how you do all your creative projects with 2 little kids around. I can't get any of my sewing projects and I only have one right now. Although I do work 2-1/2 days and I'm pregnant so I'm pooped by the end of the day. But you seem to have so much energy.
Oh girl. If you only knew. I hope I haven't insinuated that I am a super Mom with boundless energy and productiveness who completes every task with a smile plastered on her face. No no no. I get all my creative projects done by shirking my housekeeping, playing during naptime and giving up other things. I don't watch much TV anymore, but I've conveniently replaced the my TV screen time for computer screen time.

I am blessed to be a SAHM. I am NOT blessed with excellent time management skills. Besides, being a SAHM automatically means you have issues with completing tasks and actually feeling productive. At least in our house that's what it means. Tasks (and fun crafty projects) are often thwarted by poopy diapers (or poop ON THE FLOOR), children injuring each other, errands to run, sick children to nurse back to health, laundry and...hmmm, what else?.... oh yeah, everybody needs to be fed once in a while.

This bouncing back and forth between projects and housework and childcare is often frustrating for me. I often have to remind myself that being a Mama to Bubbalu and Lil Chick is THE most important task that I have. Sure, I know it in my head, but sometimes my head needs to be reminded.

Yes, more important than completing that super uber cute shirt pattern that I've had mulling around in my brain. Sometimes that means putting my latest project down and not returning to it for a few days (*ahem* WEEKS).

Bottom line: I'm NOT super Mama. I get VERY tired (and cranky!) and exhausted. I often choose to be crafty instead of doing housework. I blog, craft, sew and create things for therapy. IT WORKS FOR ME. It is my passion and I choose to pursue it unless my family is suffering because of it.

Still don't believe my claim? Ok Rachel, here's a photo I snapped just minutes after reading your question:



There, feel better now?

And mind you, superimpose five bins of random Christmas decor scattered about the room and you can see what it looks like right this very moment.

However, my Christmas tree looks quite spectacular, if I do say so myself...

A

***Have a question you would like to see answered? Make my day and become a fan on the Vintage Dutch Girl Facebook Fan page HERE and throw your questions at me.

11 comments :

  1. I don't know if Rachel feels any better, but I sure do. lol Thank you for keeping it real today. You'll never know just how bad I needed to see that. Love your blog, btw. Love it even more after this post....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess we all have those days! Sometimes I have a hard time getting a handle on things too! Thanks for sharing! Hey, I'm following you on facebook! I love your blog. Stop by and visit me!
    http://songberries.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've wondered that myself, and boy, did you hit the nail on the head. I wonder though, why I never get crafts done. My house is far messier than yours! :-) So I need to find something else to neglect. Why, oh why, must they eat three times a day?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A, you crack me up. I don't have the balls to take a picture of our mess here and post it on my blog. My in-laws would freak out ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, I appreciate your honesty. I don't know if I could show pictures of my house like that. I think my mom instilled in me a fear of people coming over and seeing a messy house. When living at home we would go into panic mode if grandma was randomly stopping by and mom didn't want her to see the house a mess. So quite often my house looks like that but if I know you're coming but you only give me a few minutes before you show - please don't look behind closed doors...you might have an avalanche fall on you :) or find odd things in my dryer :) (Whatever one needs to do to hide it all, right?) I still think you are an amazing mom and you don't give yourself enough credit. But thanks - you put a big smile on my face and made me feel better about not getting all my projects done that I'd like to. I also appreciate you sharing all your stories with us. Quite often you give me a good laugh or put a smile on my face after a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HA HA HA! I had to show my husband the picture you posted. It made me laugh out loud! I am constantly in awe of the fact that some people are creative and crafty! I use nap time to catch up with shows or ahem . . . shower! Love the authenticity :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha thank you for making me smile today! My house often looks like that and i dont have any children!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the mil speaking...no worries, this momma loves the mess, as Vintage Dutch Girl was just at our house where it looked like Thanksgiving and Christmas exploded at the same time...bins of Christmas, a half decorated tree, dishes to be done and a house full of Thanksgiving deco on the table, with extra leaves in it not removed from game nite on Thanksgiving...but I did get the mending done for the daughter home for Thanksgiving!! Party on! Love you dil!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear I have never parked my kids in front of the tv, so I could sew...

    ReplyDelete
  10. i don't care what you say, i still think you're 'superwoman'. :)

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, let's chat a bit...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...