Sunday, January 24, 2010

Lace Trimmed T-Shirt and Tutorial...


Step 1: Buy an inexpensive, boring plain v-neck from, well, ANYWHERE. Me? I chose an Old Navy dark gray tee:



See? It's boring. It needs some help.

Step 2: Dig through huge bag of vintage lace and notions lovingly thrifted and given to you by your Grandma K and pick out some sassy, funky or complimentary ribbon or lace. ( Hee hee hee, I'm imagining my ribbon saying, "My my Amanda, you are looking mighty FINE today!" Get it? Complimentary ribbon? OK, It's just me then.)

Step 3: (If needed) Serge or zig-zag stitch raw edge of lace or ribbon. (Yep, I'm slowly getting over my serger fear! However, it must still be having an effect on me because I completely forgot to take a photo.)

Step 4: Pin lace around neckline of t-shirt. Remember to not pin the back of the shirt while pinning. I pinned both the inside and outside edges of the lace all the way around the neckline:



I didn't have enough lace, but would have liked to go all the way around to the back of the neckband. Instead I serged the ends and pinned them down at the shoulder seam:



Step 4.2: Carefully miter (translation: fold it until it looks right) and pin lace or ribbon in place at the bottom of the "V" if you chose a v-neck style t-shirt. Of course, with a scoop neck or regular t-shirt this may not be needed...OR, you may need to every so often add a tiny fold to allow the lace to curve around the neckline correctly. Once again, just fold and pin until it looks right.



Step 5: Stitch the lace to the shirt along the inside/unfinished/serged edge first:



Step 6: Stitch the outside edge of the lace to the shirt, following the decorative pattern. I followed the curves as much as possible so it wouldn't flip up after washing:



Step 7: I stitched the folds down at the bottom of the "V" so it would lay flat. My stitch lines are marked in red:



Step 8: Admire your handiwork then jump giddily around your sewing room because you created something cute, individual, inexpensive AND sassy in a short amount of time:



Step 9: Try sassy new shirt on and attempt to take a self portrait without showing the camera or your face or earrings. Whoops, guess I didn't do Step 9 very well:

Pin It

Step 10: Wear it everywhere. It's a washable t-shirt so who cares if your 3 year old smudges it with jelly coated fingers? Just make sure that 3 year old isn't wielding a sharpie. I mean, I'm pretty good at getting stains out but that's pushing it.

This Lace Trimmed T-shirt can dress up jeans, dress down a suit jacket but can also be worn under a simple zip up hoodie paired with faded black yoga pants while feeding the kiddos lunch and doing laundry. Oh wait? Is that just me?

Enjoy your sassy Lace Trimmed T-shirts!

A


*** Make my day and become a fan on the Vintage Dutch Girl Facebook Fan page found HERE. ***

DIY Day @ ASPTL

U Create

oneprettything


22 comments :

  1. Totally LOVE this! May have to copy this...I have plenty of Grandma VG leftover sewing goodies I have yet to organize, so we'll see!
    But I need to tell you as your personal style consultant...I will disown you if I see you wear that under a hoodie and with yoga pants! You hear me girl??? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm imagining Sallie reading your little aside. I'm pretty sure her only comment would be "wow". :-) That's what she says to me when I say that kind of thing - we must have had a similar teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well done! your new shirt is so so cute!! thanks for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So incredibly cute! I love that you took a picture - 'cause I always wonder what the finish product looks like on. VERY CUTE!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow....this is just great! I would love to get a serger, but I have no idea (and no money) of where to begin! I need to go back and read some of your previous posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank-you for this. I have a number of beautiful trims I've been wanting to add to my clothes but didn't really know how. It was interesting how your tee stayed flat even though you didn't add stablizer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, I am in love with your idea. I have a ton of those exact Old Navy shirts that need makeovers. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. L-O-V-E IT! I think it looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing with us!
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your shirt came out so cute! I would love to try this one day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this so much because my whole wardrobe is: T-shirts and jeans! Now I can actually have a little class:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Adorable! It helps when you have a body like that to put it over! lol ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. SO SO SO cute!
    Wow, I'm impressed! Sewing... SEW not my thing. lol.
    I envy you!
    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the lace! BTW, newspaper for windows is the KEY!instead of any towel, be it paper or cloth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this and the gray looks fantastic with the lace. Adding this to my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I found you from One Pretty Thing and love your blog!! I had the same gray shirt - and just made this!!! So cute! I am going to wear it this weekend!! Woohoo! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ok,I'm pretty crafticapped, but I think I could do this! I'm going to try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is too gorgeous!!! I am in love and I MUST try this soon! Thanks for the how-to! And thanks for stopping by my blog!

    I love your flower pins, too, by the way! You've got style, girl : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is SO adorable. A great shirt for half the price of what you'd pay for in stores AND it's original. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have stumbled on your blog (via One Pretty Thing) and I LOVE this shirt! I must try it - closet searching now!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read more soon.

    Julia Kuree

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, let's chat a bit...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...