Monday, June 25, 2012

Travel Trailer Makeover, Part 5: Recovering Window Cornice Thingys!

For this part I will heretofore refer to the top of the window covering cornice thingymajigs as Cornici. I'm certain that it the correct pluralization of the word cornice, yes? Ok, maybe not, but I think it's fun. Cornici. Rhymes with Octopi. Sort of.

I decided to recover the curved Cornici in our new trailer (Lumi :)  with Premier Prints Topeka Solid Chocolate brown fabric that I purchased from Fabric.com, my fave online fabric store. well, all the regular windows cornici. I did have one flat cornice over the kitchen window that I used the chevron print to recover.

In the interest of saving my wrists and hands from days of aches and pains after tearing out hundreds of staples I decided to leave the previous fabric and just put the new fabric right on top of it. Ah yes, much more simple. And made the project quick quick quick. Well, as quick as you can get with a three and five year old around.

Another benefit from leaving the old fabric intact? It was super handy to see where the previous Cornici coverer had cut the fabric to help it stay tight and unwrinkled on all the corners and curves:


But hey, we are getting ahead of ourselves a bit. First off, I had to remove the industrial strength velcro strips that hold the side curtains on. Then i tried to get a rough measurement of the amount of fabric I'd need per cornice:



The comes the fun.When you are recovering just about anything you first center the cornici or chair seat board or whatever on your fabric.  You then wrap the fabric around from opposite sides, pull tight and staple from the centers out. Here's a wimpy diagram:


The key is to not create any lumps, bumps or folds on the visible side so keep turning your piece (or cornici) over and checking to make sure everything is smooth.

Last up, the corners. I'm not going to lie, they are not always easy. Just keep folding and pulling and stapling until they lie flat or look as good as you want them to. Once again, I was glad to have left the old fabric on so I had a folding template for the corners.

After I was all done, this is what the inside cornici looked like:



I reattached the velcro strips on the inside (for the side curtains) and then had my hubby help me hold the cornici in place to reattach to the trailer walls.

Less diamond pattern, more sassiness!


And the before n after of the kitchen cornice:



This made SUCH a huge difference in the cheerfulness of our trailer!  In fact, the next week or so my Mom also decided to recover her faded cornici with some fresh newer fabric.  It make such a huge difference! I dare you to try it :)

Amanda - Vintage Dutch Girl

Check out all the posts from this Travel Trailer Makeover Series!

9 comments :

  1. I'll bet it looks even sassier in person :) You'll bee giving tours all day long at the reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your blog. My husband and I just purchased a 2002 Motor home and are excited about making it personal. I loved seeing your adventurous renovations; they give me hope. We are going for retro 50's and there aren't many "how to's" out here. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your blog. My husband and I just purchased a 2002 Motor home and are excited about making it personal. I loved seeing your adventurous renovations; they give me hope. We are going for retro 50's and there aren't many "how to's" out here. Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. My cornice boards were adorned with a brassy metal trim which I hated. I ditched them and made a coastal shabby vintage one with natural and white burlap. It turned out pretty cute. I was glad to read that I'm not the only crazy tackling a 2000 era trailer. Of course, I longed for vintage, but, hey, you work with what you have.
    PS-loved the poo story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you post instructions on recovering the couch? My trailer is almost exactly like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina, oh boy this is a 3 year delay in response...I have no real instructions, I just sorta fashioned a slipcover that to be honest, isn't staying on very well. So I may be refashioning another one :)

      Delete
  6. I really like what you did with the curtains. Question - How did you remove wood things from the wall?

    ReplyDelete

C'mon, let's chat a bit...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...